Saturday 28 July 2012

Onwards to Chapleton E.C

We phoned through on the landline and got the code for the gate in the morning and Cognac and I were on our way, me with a massive packed lunch in my pocket. Cognac with a bundle of apples and carrots. It turned out to be the most beautiful day. The scenery was stunning and I didn't see a soul until about 4pm. While we were off the road, in the middle of nowhere I just rode Cognac in his head collar and lead rope. We had some miles to back up from the day before and I had half a mind to find somewhere else to stay and to make it over to Chapleton the following night. However I didn't have any phone signal until 4.30pm and could not tell anyone my plans. I immediately phoned Jez to let him know that I was okay and when he got back home from work I sent him my gps location from my phone and he worked out how far I was from Chapelton, he said we were about 10 miles out and that maybe we should camp out for the night. Not as easy ad it sounds with a horse. Although I am carrying a length of electric tape with me for emergencies, I don't have any posts and Cognac isn't trained to hobble or picket line. Also in England ouevery bit of land belongs to someone and if you try to camp, you tend to get moved along. Jez phones Chapelton ro say we were giing to br larr and cognac and I trudged on. After an hour i srnt Jez another gps and again he said ee were t10 I told Jez that I wasn't gonna make it to Chapelton and asked. him to find me somewhere close to stay. I askedmilrs out! Impossible, we had covered about 5 already, I think because we were off the road in the woods it wasn't giving an accurate reading. I asked Jez to phone a farm or campsite in the area to try and find us a field as Cognac and I were both tired and I didn't want to push any further. The only place Jez could find was only a few miles away from Chapelton anyway. We eventually made it. Very late with a tired horse. They were very understanding at Chapelton and I felt awful for turning up so late. Cognac had a feed and a session in the solarium, before going out in a field for the night. To save me pitting up my tent I was offered a static caravan to sleep in, with heaters and a kettle!

No comments:

Post a Comment