Monday 30 July 2012

Laggan to Fort William

I got away in good time in the morning but then got held up just a mile down the road for 30 minutes. I was following the Graat Glen Way which crossed over the canal via a bridge over the top of a loch gate. It was very narrow but Cognac had been doing worse. I wanted to cross the canal at this point and continue following the GGW as after this it open up into loch and If I couldnt get across I would have to follow the busy road on the opposite side of the loch. I shouted to the loch keeper to ask if it was okay to bring my horse across and he shrugged and said that it was on my head if something went wrong. So I jumped off and tried to lead Cognac across, he wasn't sure and I didn't want to put too much pressure on him as it was narrow and I didn't want him to rush across. A cyclist who had also stayed at the hostel came along and asked if I was having trouble, I explained about the main road and wanting to cross the loch to avoid the road. I was hoping Cognac would follow the bike across, but he still wasn't sure. The loch keeper shouted across to say that he was going to let some boats through and that I could try again after. So Cognac and I watched the loch fill up with water and then the bridge move back to let the boats through. I shared an apple and some Kendal mint cake with him while we waited. Just as the bridge moved back into place, threw walkers who had also stayed at the hostel turned up and as they crossed the bridge I urged Cognac to follow and this time he happily did without hesitation. The loch keeper gave m the thumbs up and took a photo of us walking across to 'show the lads' when we reached Neptune's Staircase, just before Fort William we had a group of people gather round to stroke Cognac and find out what we were doing and we also got done sponsorship money too. We walked along the cycle path alongside a busy road into Fort William and some guts who were working on the road crossed over to talk to me and also gave me some sponsorship money. I was staying at Lochyside with Kirsty, who runs Farr Cottage hostel in Carpatgh, just outside Fort William, when I had got close to Fort William she had text me direction to her house, I had followed them to the T, but as I turned down her road a lady stopped me and said I must be stayed next door. I read my instructions to get and she said that was right, but that I must be stating next door with a lady that had horses. I must have sounded a bit vague insisting that I was staying with a lady called Kirsty and the end of this road. By this time a gentleman from next door had also come our and assured me that the guy that lived in the end house was away, but that I was welcome to tether my horse in his field. I thanked him but assured him that I had arranged to stay with someone already. At that moment Kirsty walked up the drive, everyone along the road called her Kay so hadn't realised it was her I meant!

No comments:

Post a Comment