Sunday 12 August 2012

12/08/12 Longfield E.C to Denshaw

This morning I went round to Cognac's stable to find him alert and ready to play! He really seems to have adapted to his new routine now. I got him some breakfast and got him tacked up and off we went. As I walked him in hand up the road I couldn't help but think what people must think of us when they see us- people always seem surprised that I walk a fair bit beside him! I tend to walk a mile or two in the morning so we can both warm up and also after lunch, so my lunch can go down and if on a quiet road I tend to get off and walk the last mile or so as well.

Today was a very hilly day! We stopped for grass on top of a very high hill and although the view was fab, it was very windy so we didn't stop for long. As we came back down off the hill into Summit, I took long rider Elizabeth Hill's (www.ridearoundbritain.blogspot.co.uk) advice that the next section of the Pennine bridleway was very steep both up and back down and choose to ride through town instead to save Cognac's engergy. We stopped just outside town at a visitor centre by a resorvoir and I gave Cognac his lunchtime feed and let him chomp on some grass for an hour. On the way back onto the Pennine Bridleway I couldn't help stopping at an ice- cream van on Cognac! Made me chuckle anyway!

We got to Dumfries farm just in time for the change in weather and we have been made to feel very comfortable. Cognac had a nice big feed and a rack of haylage before going out in a grassy field for the night. My tent is pitched on the front lawn and I have had a lovely dinner and a hot shower and am currently watching the Olympics closing ceremony! Strange to think I was in Moffat in Scotland for the opening ceremony two weeks ago! And in two more week I hope to be arriving on the doorstep of William Reddaway (www.ridearoundengland.org)in Cheltenham! If all goes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment