Friday 10 August 2012

10/08/12- day 43

I'm going to really confuse matters now. I've got behind with the blog because I've struggled to get both Internet access and to have electricity to keep my phone charged. I've been trying to fill in the gap, however I am now going to update the blog every day- I promise so will have to fill in the missing days when I get chance- sorry!
Last night we stayed in the orchard at Emma's Dairy, Gazegill Organic farm, in Rimington, Clitheroe. Thank-you to Emma and Ian for having us to stay!

Jez had driven up to see me for a couple of days and left to drive back home yesterday afternoon, ready for work this morning. Waking up without him there was hard and I felt quite alone. I wanted to get a good start on the day so cooked myself a little porridge ( made with water) and tried to pack my equipment away quickly, wasn't as easy as normal after everything had ended up out of place after Jez's visit. I noticed I have managed to lose a few things ( they may be in Jez's car) my beanie hat, Cognac's back brushing boots and the strings that tie round my tent to make it easier to put in its bag.

As the weather had been so hot the last few days we have done without my hat and U think Cognac's back legs enjoyed not having hot sweaty boots on as well as they swell a little with the boots on, but have been five today. I started putting them on him when I noticed he had caught the inside of each pastern with the inside of his shoe, but don't usually put boots on him at home unless we were jumping.

Made slow progress this morning as there were some steep up and down hills, it was very hot all day and there were tonnes of gates to negotiate. We are still following the Pennine Bridleway , there are some beautiful views along it and some nice tracks to ride on, but at some points its more logical for us to go on the road for a short section to avoid a detour on the bridleway up a hill or 'round the houses'.

We stopped at the Black Lane Ends pub at 2pm to refuel. I had a coke and some crisps and refilled my water bottle. Cognac had grass, water and a bowl of calm and condition.

We made better progress in the afternoon, followed a lovely part of the bridleway that passes through a ford and the runs parallel to the river for a few miles- I noticed a very grassy picnic area to our left that would have made a good stop if we weren't running out of time.

I stopped to talk to a couple who lived locally and were out for a walk who very generously donated £23.50 to the BHF. We walked most of the rest of the route as it was just so hot and Cognac was sweating just walking. We reached Herd House farm riding stables at 7pm, Cognac has gone out in a large field down the road and I am camped in the riding arena where we found a foam cushion for me to sleep on in my tent. Catherine Billington, who owns the yard and lives on site, very kindly took me in doors for meatballs and rice and let me used her laptop and helped me with a bit if route planning and some contacts and Sophie gas very kindly taken my dirty clothes home with her to wash for me- she had also offered me breakfast and a bath in the morning. Every day it amazes me how wonderfully helpful and kind complete strangers can be!

Jez

No comments:

Post a Comment