Saturday 11 August 2012

11/08/12 Thursden to Todmorden.

I got up in the morning and packed away my tent and organised my saddlebags, putting my equipment in a pile ready for when I came to tack Cognac up. Sophie came and picked me up from the yard and took me back to her house for a nice hot shower and a lovely breakfast- cereal, toast, sausages, eggs and croissants! It was great to meet all her family- her husband Ed and children Fin, Bridget and Pip. Ed phoned Cosima Towneley to tell her what I was doing and she said that she had a BHS booklet with the contact details for all the bridleway officers and that they would be the people to get hold of when passing through their regions, do we arranged to meet at my lunch stop so that she could give me that and we could have a chat.

The girls from the yard rode put with me and put me back onto the Pennine Bridleway. It was a steep climb to start the day but with beautiful views from up top down on the way I had come from and I could see where we had stayed the night.

At lunch I met with Cosima and she suggested I look up the trans Pennine route instead of following the Pennine Bridleway all the way to its end at Hartington station.

Steep down and ups all day! Todmorden is at the joining of three valleys so very scenic, but hilly!

Made it to Longfield before the girls go home at 5pm, Cognac is in the worlds biggest stable munching on haylage and I have a bed in a static caravan.

Interestingly Nora and Juniblest stayed here just last week on their New Forest to Newcastle ride- same stable and same caravan! ( Nora's blog is: www.ponytrip.blogspot.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment