Wednesday 4 April 2012

Gumber Farm Two Day Training Ride


I've been very busy! I just got back from a two day training ride with an overnight stay at Gumber Bothy on the National Trust Slindon Estate. Cognac and I covered about 25 miles each day and we have both returned looking and feeling well. I think we are both looking forward to a day off tomorrow though- Cognac was pleased to get back to his field for a roll and a big feed. I felt that the distance was fine to cover each day, we set off at 9am each morning and got back mid- late afternoon, including a leisurely lunch break. I really enjoyed the chance to explore some new routes and bridleways, although I did get slightly lost a few times!

On Tuesday, we had barely seen a soul all day, so Cognac and I stopped right on the trail, on the top of a hill, and had some lunch. Cognac was busy stuffing as much of the lush, green grass as possible and I was licking melted chocolate from its wrapper when a surprised cyclist stopped to say that we were the first people he had seen all morning. He was checking out the South Downs Way and the surrounding area as he is setting up a guided cycling company. He was interested to hear that I had cycled Land's End to John O'Groats on my mountain bike and that I planned to do the reverse on my horse. When I expressed interest in his new business, he gave me his business card and asked me to get in touch if I had any ideas, as I've ridden a lot of the bridleways criss- crossing the downs. After lunch I tacked Cognac back up and walked with him to the bottom of the hill, before getting on (I find it uncomfortable to ride directly after eating lunch and prefer to walk for a bit first).

We arrived at Gumber Farm at about 3.30pm. They were in the middle of lambing at the farm, having had 800 lambs already, they were expecting 200 more! So the pen where Cognac was to stay was bedded down mostly with straw (normally it is grass) with only a bit of grass at the front. So I grazed Cognac in the empty campsite for 40 minutes and just lounged in the sun. When I got bored of babysitting Cognac, I put him in the pen with a big feed. The shepherd then came round to greet me and asked if the pen would be okay for Cognac and that he hadn't had chance to clean it out yet, as they had only just moved the lambs and their mothers out of it. I assured him it was fine and asked about the lambing and how the farm had been since I had lasted stayed with them.

I unpacked my few belongings, brushed Cognac off and then twiddled my thumbs for a bit. I still had quite a wait for my dinner to arrive ( the chef was still at work!) so I found out where the nearest pub was and headed there to practice our pub visits ( It will be a valuable skill when we out out all day on our long ride). There was a convenient place outside near some picnic benches, so I carefully tied Cognac to a flower trough and went inside. The bar was very busy, but I could see that Cognac was okay through the window. I ordered a pint of cider and carried it outside to sit with Cognac. An hour later I was still at the pub! I refused a third pint, insisting I should ride back through the woods before it got dark. Everyone was friendly and interested in the ride and Cognac stood like a gent while he was stroked and had photos taken!


Wednesday was a cold and dewy morning and I felt for Cognac being outside without rug all night so I took he to get some more of that lush green grass, and to let the sun warm his back for an hour. My saddle bags have been shipped now ( they emailed me today) so when they arrive I will be able to tell if it would be feisable to carry a lightweight rain-sheet with me for Cognac at nights, which we could also wrapped around us when we ride on wet days.

I was another good day, we explored some beautiful, almost magical woods. My favourite being Venus wood, moss on the floor and ivy up the trees, I expected pixies or elves to appear from around the trees. We had a bit of a challenge coming off the downs on a very steep bridleway I haven't used before- I looks as though no- one had used it in a while and for good reason. When I got bored of ducking under low branches I got off and walked until we can to a substantial tree fallen right across our path. It was too big for Cognac to step over and there was no way round. We were nearing the bottom of the hill and to turn back would mean a lengthy diversion so I got back on and trotted towards it- and Cognac stopped and I fell off! No! Of course not, my horse is much better than that! He popped over the log, on a downhill slope and pull up in time for the next low branch.

When I got back to the yard and untacked I noticed that Cognac's hair had rubbed behind his saddle and I'm pretty should it's from the seam on his numanah. This could cause a potential problem over a week or so, so I am going to look into a polypad or a sheepskin numanah, or perhaps a polo blanket?

No comments:

Post a Comment