Wednesday 13 June 2012

Only two weeks until we set out for Scotland!

It seems to have come round so fast! I am eager to get going although a little apprehensive about Cognac travelling up the first few days, I'm sure it wont take long for us to settle into a routine once we get going.

Cognac saw Natalie the physio again yesterday, she used the H-wave machine on his back, just behind his saddle area, but overall said that he was good. She also showed me a few exercises and stretches I could do with him while out on our ride, to help loosen him up if he is feeling tired or stiff. One involves lifting up each foreleg in turn and stretching them first up, then forward, then down... another involved standing to one side of him and with my hand on top of this neck, gently rocking his neck towards me. I then work my way down towards his withers and as I reach his back, cupping my hand gently along his spine and rocking him towards me and then pushing him back with my belly, all the way down to his tail. He seems to enjoy this gentle stretch and  it makes him nice and relaxed. Natalie also suggested using a hot water bottle (wrapped in a towel) on his back/ pelvis area to help ease tired or tight muscles.

I've almost got all my equipment together for my ride now and I am hoping to do one last trial run with my saddle bags packed with the actual equipment we will be taking with us. I ordered Cognac's saddle blanket yesterday from an army surplus store and a couple of days ago I got a full length wax jacket that I tired in the saddle for the first time yesterday- just waiting for a really rainy day (maybe Friday) to carry out a rigorous rain check! Originally I wasn't going to take a wax jacket, as they are quite heavy, but my lightweight waterproofs have just not been up to the horrendous wind and rain that I have been riding in recently. It is very hard to thing straight and concentrate on map reading and looking after a horse when you are wet and cold and can't wait to get to your accommodation for the night. So I think the wax coat is the right choice to make.

I also payed up the full balance for Cognac's transport to Scotland with Eric Gillie Horse Transport. It is going to take him three days travelling to get there. I am slightly worried about him under- taking such a long journey without me- all I can think of is that he's going to think I've sold him! Although he travels well when we go to shows, he hasn't done a lot of travelling while I've had him and never without me there. I trust the transport company will look after him well and that they are professionals and have a lot of experience travelling horses the length and breadth of the country but... I won't be able to relax until I meet him safely at the other end.


No comments:

Post a Comment